Friday 22 February 2013

Happy Birthday Edward Gorey!

Scrap Irony cover (book now out of print)
 
I have abandoned my original post for today when I realised that Edward Gorey is celebrating his 88th birthday today! Most illustrators and fans of dark humour in their artworks will be aware of Gorey. I first discovered his work while still at artschool and was completely inspired by the scratchy, Victorian-esque line drawings as well as the macabre yet humourous stories and poems that accompanied them.
 
"My mission in life is to make everyone as uneasy as possible, I think we should all be as uneasy as possible, because that's what the world is like" - Edward Gorey
 
Gorey's alphabets or The Gashlycrumb Tinies are an example of his ability for us to enjoy other people's misfortune and feel a little uneasy about it. The Gashleycrumb Tinies is an alphabet of illustrations but instead of the usual A is for apple we instead have a series of ways that children have met their end. I love this book because its a traditional format of the alphabet illustrations, usually aimed at kids but in this case its completely for adults.
 
 
Images from The Gashlycrumb Tinies
 
If you fancy delving into the world of Gorey, a good selection of books can be found online at Amazon or Forbidden Planet. Some books are out of print but they do crop up now and again second-hand on Amazon. The Gashlycrumb Tinies is well worth the £5 I promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment